United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) - Rural Development
04/01/19 4:30 PM Local time - Deadline for Grant requests; Loan requests are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Grants starting at $1,500 and loan guarantees starting at $5,000 to USA, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico agricultural producers and small rural businesses to improve energy efficiency by installing renewable energy systems or making energy efficiency enhancements. Funds may be used for the purchase, installation and construction of renewable energy systems, such as:
- Biomass (for example: biodiesel and ethanol, anaerobic digesters, and solid fuels)
- Geothermal for electric generation or direct use
- Hydropower below 30 megawatts
- Small and large wind generation
- Small and large solar generation
- Ocean (tidal, current, thermal) generation
Funds may also be used for the purchase, installation and construction of energy efficiency improvements, such as:
- High efficiency heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC)
- Cooling or refrigeration units
- Doors and windows
- Electric, solar or gravity pumps for sprinkler pivots
- Switching from a diesel to electric irrigation motor
- Replacement of energy-inefficient equipment
This program helps increase American energy independence by increasing the private sector supply of renewable energy and decreasing the demand for energy through energy efficiency improvements. Over time, these investments can also help lower the cost of energy costs for small businesses and agricultural producers.
GrantWatch ID#: 170109
- $5,000 minimum loan amount.
- $25,000,000 maximum loan amount.
- Up to 85% loan guarantee.
- Rates and terms negotiated with the lender and subject to USDA approval.
Renewable Energy System Grants:
- $2,500 minimum.
- $500,000 maximum.
Energy Efficiency Grants:
- $1,500 minimum.
- $250,000 maximum
- Maximum term of 30 years for real estate.
- Maximum term of 15 years, or useful life, for machinery and equipment.
- Maximum term of 7 years for capital loans.
- Maximum term of 30 years for combined real estate and equipment loans.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To apply via the state coordinators, see the pdf in Supporting Documents below.
For information about this Notice, please contact:
Anthony Crooks, Rural Energy Policy Specialist
USDA Rural Development, Energy Division
1400 Independence Avenue SW
Stop 3225, Room 6870
Washington, DC 20250
State offices: https://www.rd.usda.gov/contact-us/state-offices
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA)