Foundation / Corporation
Thomas A Barron
04/15/19 5:00 PM
Awards of $10,000 to USA and Canada youth, ages 8 to 18 years, for outstanding contributions to their communities, the environment, or society. Applications are welcome from inspiring North American youth of all backgrounds who demonstrate the potential for leadership and public service.
1. Winners must have organized and led an extraordinary service activity which has clearly benefited other people or the planet.
- The service activity must have been initiated and motivated primarily by the winner himself or herself.
- The service activity cannot have been done solely to complete an assignment for school or work.
2. Winners must have:
- Demonstrated positive spirit, courage, intelligence, generosity, and high moral purpose.
- Shown initiative, tenacity, and unselfishness in pursuit of their goals.
- Accomplished something with inspirational value—something that could inspire others to make a difference.
- Done more than survive a difficult personal challenge. Their heroism must have made an impact on the world beyond themselves.
3. Winners may or may not have received recognition for their heroic work. Fame itself shall not have been a motivating factor.
GrantWatch ID#: 178282
- Winners each receive $10,000 to be applied to their higher education or to their service project.
- Each winner receives a beautiful personalized plaque and recognition certificate.
- Each winner receives a signed copy of The Hero’s Trail by Barron Prize founder T.A. Barron, along with a copy of Dream Big, a documentary film profiling several former Barron Prize winners. Winners also receive the Young Heroes Activity Guide and Bibliography.
- Winners are given the opportunity to connect with other Barron Prize honorees through the Young Heroes online forum.
- Winners are provided with numerous media opportunities – print, television, and radio – to publicize and extend the reach of their service work.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Media inquiries and other questions:
Barbara Ann Richman, Executive Director
Questions about the online application:
Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes
P.O. Box 1470
Boulder, CO 80306
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon