Foundation / Corporation
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - Global Grand Challenges
04/10/19 11:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time
Grants to USA, Canada, and International nonprofits, for-profit companies, agencies, and IHEs to investigate, study, and research S. Typhi strains. Funding is intended for the examination of the environmental functions of S. Typhi and, among other goals, to have a better understanding of the impact of these niches on antibiotic resistance to the strain.
The Foundation is interesting in understanding:
- Survival of S. Typhi (Salmonella enterica ssp. enterica serovar Typhi) in the context of the soil and water microbiomes. S. Typhi survives for 3 weeks in the presence of A. castellani, but for no more than 10 days by itself. Do interactions with other organisms impact survival of S. Typhi? How do they impact transmissibility of the bacterium?
- Survival of S. Typhi within other organisms. Similar to V. cholerae, which thrives within zooplankton, does S. Typhi interact with aquatic multicellular organisms? If yes, how does this impact the transmission and epidemiology of typhoid?
- Impact of environmental niches on the development of antibiotic resistance in S. Typhi. What is the relative amount of time S. Typhi spends in the environment compared to in infected individuals? How does this impact its exposure to antibiotics, and the development of antibiotic resistance in S. Typhi strains?
The Foundation is interested in funding:
- Studies of S. Typhi in the context of soil and water microbiomes, with clear implications for survival, virulence, or antibiotic resistance.
- Examining survival of S. Typhi within or in the presence of free-living protozoans
- Examining the role of the environment (soil, water, residual antibiotics) in the development of AMR in S. Typhi
- Transcriptome analysis and mutagenesis of S. Typhi to identify genes associated with particular environmental niches.
The work proposed in an application must include a clear set of key experiments or activities that test the proposed idea in a way that could provide sufficient evidence to warrant funding. Proposals with vague descriptions or vague testing methodologies will not be funded.
All awardees will be permitted to contract for services, up to a maximum of $49,999 USD. This limit applies to funds paid by an awardee to any other organization (or an individual employed at another organization) as a subcontractor, including payments to co-PIs working at another organization. Awardees are entitled to purchase equipment, provided that the cost of each item is less than $5,000 USD. Phase I project funds may be used to cover the full direct costs of the project.
GrantWatch ID#: 185424
- Awards of up to $100,000 USD are made in Phase I. Phase I awardees have one opportunity to apply for a follow-on Phase II award of up to $1,000,000 USD.
- Awarded projects start date is November 1, 2019.
- Phase I projects have a term of 18 months beginning on the project start date.
- Phase II funding has a grant term of up to two years.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://gce.gatesfoundation.org/_layouts/GCE/Pages/login.aspx
Please direct all questions by e-mail to: GCEhelp@gatesfoundation.org.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.